Tutorial Week 9
How does adding journalling to a file system avoid corruption in the presence of unexpected power failures.
- Describe internal and external fragmentation.?
- What are the problems with multiprogrammed systems with fixed-partitioning?
- Assume a system protected with base-limit registers. What are the advantages and problems with such a protected system (compared to either a unprotected system or a paged or segmented VM system)?
- A program is to run on a multiprogrammed machine. Describe at which points in time during program development to execution time where addresses within the program can be bound to the actual physical memory it uses for execution? What are the implication of using each of the three binding times?
Describe four algorithms for allocating regions of contiguous memory, and comment on their properties.
- What is compaction? Why would it be used?
- What is swapping?
What is Paging?
- Why do all virtual memory system page sizes have to be a power of 2? Draw a picture.
What is a TLB? What is its function?